Sunday, December 10, 2006

The FIlipino Family Time Capsule

The Issues:


Traditional Filipino parents and modern Filipino-American teenagers do not see eye-to-eye. My parents were born in the Philippines and grew up there. My brothers and I grew up in the States. Customs and traditions are very different in the Phillipines when compared to the free-wheeling U.S. There are definite gender roles which do not translate well for liberated women in the States. The biggest issue I can see for Filipino families today is the lack of involvement between parents and their children. So many Filipino children end up in a bad way, either in gangs or pregnant or not doing well in school. I'm not recommending a tighter grip just more understanding between parents and children with regards to society today. What might have worked in my parents' upbringing back in the day may not be the answer for most children today.

These are the things that separates filipinos from others:

1.) Hospitality

2.) Bayanihan

3.) Simply Traditional

No comments: